Thursday, April 16, 2020

Artist of the month - Elizabeth Davis


Elizabeth Davis, a prominent artist in the Oman art community, reminds herself and everyone around that “Art is not merely a career but a way of life”. I am a huge fan of her art work and witnessed her exhibitions many times. Her commitment to the art scene has gained respect and fans… and what I love about her is her constant zeal for learning more, updating her skills and always challenging herself. 



Most of her artwork is greatly influenced by the scenic beauty of Oman and the hospitality and beauty of Omani Culture and her travels as well. I have also known her for promoting and motivating amateur artists as well which makes her an even more beautiful artist. Her work is an extension of her warmth, her enthusiasm and her passion. Her love for details and creating the mood evokes a sense of peace and wanting to travel, that can be clearly seen in her work, through the colours and textures on her work. 

Have a look at her paintings and let’s hear more from Elizabeth and her inspiring journey as an artist





Tell us a bit about yourself. How did your journey as an artist begin? Did you have any formal training or is it self- taught?


My journey as an artist began in school. I have early memories of colouring the Nutrine bunny. We had a wonderful Art and craft section in school manned by a fantastic art teacher. Academics was taught only in the morning session, the whole afternoon session was dedicated to arts and sports. In our art class we were taught various techniques starting with sketching, crayons, colour pencils, water colours, oil painting, marble painting, mosaic work, tie and dye, batik, block printing, leather craft, etc.


As a family too, we children were art oriented in addition to academics. I remember my grandmother used to always decorate her letters with sketches. She had a brother who used to paint on the walls of his house and was considered quite eccentric. The only one who did not care for drawing was my younger brother who incidentally got a prize at the Shankar’s International art competition. I too remember getting a prize much later for my “Qutub Minar”from the Navarang Chitrakala Niketan, Guntur. Many years later my mom said that since her mother and her kids paint, she too should be having that talent and made a pretty good painting, she painted no further almost as if she had proved her point.


My art took a back stage and came to a grinding halt during my work, marriage, bringing up the children phase. Got a breather after coming to Muscat and would paint on and off. Got back fully into the Art scene about 4 years ago after moving to the Al Mouj community and discovering a lot of talented artists. Started with a bang with my first exhibition at the World Art Dubai. It was a great learning experience. Became a member of the Omani society of Fine arts soon after and took part in various exhibitions. Took a few courses with some great Artists and discovered new worlds in art.


My whole idea of Art went for a toss. I discovered Acrylics paints! Whereas I had always strived for perfection and realism, here were artists telling to paint how I feel and not how I see. They tell me to be creative and not to function like a camera! For me Art was art and craft was Craft … and then I discovered Mixed media! And both my interests could merge.


Has your artwork evolved during the last couple of years? How would you describe your art style?


Currently I would call my art as Contemporary and Impressionist and maybe semi abstract. I cannot classify myself as I am still on a journey of experimentation and discovery. In fact all my paintings look like they are done by different people and I am reveling in the sheer variety. I do not want to fall in a niche, I want to keep getting out of my comfort zone, I want to be constantly challenged. The downside is sleepless nights were my mind is furiously pumping out ideas and techniques. In fact a few times I have jumped out of bed, into the adjacent studio, to attack the canvas in the middle of the night. Many a times I have been sorely disappointed with the outcome, but some of my favourite pieces are done over these disasters.




What's your inspiration for your art work? 


Inspiration for art work is all around us and many a times within us.

Initially as you started as an artist, was your work rejected at any point? If yes, how did you deal with it and overcome?


Our biggest rejection comes from ourselves. We have to keep working till we are happy with our work. It is also equally important to know when to stop. Sometimes there is a sense of depression when the mind cannot connect with the hand. Then there is a sense of exhilaration when we feel the hand of the creator working through us.


There are days when I literally live in the studio, and there are other times when I take long breaks. Sometimes, we just have to overcome the inertia, like the writer’s block.




What is the most challenging aspect about your work?


There are days when I literally live in the studio, and there are other times when I take long breaks. Sometimes, we just have to overcome the inertia, like the writer’s block.


What medium do you use? What is your creative process like? and what keeps you motivated?


My whole idea of Art went for a toss. I discovered Acrylics paints! Whereas I had always strived for perfection and realism, here were artists telling to paint how I feel and not how I see. They tell me to be creative and not to function like a camera! For me Art was art and craft was Craft … and then I discovered Mixed media! And both my interests could merge.




Do you commission different projects? And how can people purchase your paintings?


Oman does not seem to be a buyers market currently and there are very few galleries and platforms for artists. The OSFA is doing a tremendous job of promoting art and artists and we are grateful for that. The National Museum too is doing their bit. Also art material is very expensive and often new material is unavailable in Oman. But the art community here is wonderful and encouraging

I have sold a few of my paintings, done a few commission jobs, but not as much as I would have liked to.

I am planning to hold a solo exhibition sometime this year in Muscat and hopefully one in India.


What is your favorite art piece that you have done till date?


Often my favourite art piece is the one I have just finished. Though some are very dear due to the situation behind the painting or certain memories.




Any tips or words of wisdom to aspiring artists who want to pursue a similar career.


My advice to everyone is simple - Enjoy Art … there is an artist in every one of us … it can give immense satisfaction and happiness. Don’t be afraid of disasters. Treat it as an adventure …. “Artventure”.


In fact, I am also hoping to take classes for children as there is no better teacher for creativity than a child and we can learn as we teach. I would also tell parents to encourage children to try out new ideas and not to stereotype their art and thoughts. Using the right side of the brain is as important as the left. Recycling and reusing are also very important to me and I would like to incorporate more of it into my art.

Art is not merely a career, its a way of life.



Thank you so much Elizabeth for sharing your art journey with me and my readers! I am sure there are many who are inspired by your work. And wishing you all the best ahead in your journey!

If you wish to follow Elizabeth’s work please click here and  follow her at eliseasel in instagram handle. And you can email her at eliseasel@gmail.com  




Above pics via Elizabeth Davis











7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Super...I know Eli right from our Kindergarten days..she dislplayed a flair for art even then. Separately, you may not know that she cracked academic based National Talent Search Exam!

Johns Davis said...

A true inspiration within our family..
Her art work had always been amazing and kept each one of us wondering about her constant attempt to explore new forms of art especially painting !!

Veena said...

Have always admired Eli and her work. She is very meticulous and has eye for detail as no one else I know. And her fingets have magic in them. The gift I most treasure is a portrait she painted of me for my 50th Birthday.
Always wish Eli a fantastic journey with her Art.

Unknown said...

Wow! What a wonderful experience. My only chedathiar is really a multi-talented personality. She is a rank holder in Marine Biology, bank officer and now a well known artist in Muscat. Hats off to you dear Eli.

Anonymous said...

Congrats MA :) Varkyyy

lis said...

Eli not only paints... She has many talents.. She is also a university rank holder... This lady has all the punch

Ella scott said...

Superb! Elizabeth Davis is my favorite artist & she is a true inspiration. Whenever I travel to Oman, I would definitely like to attend her art exhibition