Today’s food inspiration is for the vegetarian lovers out there. This is the first time I tried paneer(cottage cheese) and eggplant combo and it turned out beautiful together. It’s spicy (bearable) and absolutely fabulous on baguette slices and it is a great appetizer to any party or event. This recipe is adapted from Food Fashion Party, a great food blog that I have been following over the years. Thank you Asha for this amazing recipe. It’s a perfect comforting dish for your weekend night. Try it out and you will know exactly what I am talking about!
Click here for the original recipe. It is adapted from Food Fashion Party.
Serves 4 to 6
· Frozen paneer(cottage cheese) – 250gms (Click on the original link if you want to make fresh paneer)
· Basil Pesto – I used to readymade bottled one ( didn’t have time to make the fresh one, but do click on the original recipe link to make Basil Pesto)
· Eggplant - 1
· Oil – 2 tbsps.
· Cumin – 1tsp
· Red Onion finely diced – 2 tblsp
· Finely sliced green chilie - 2
· 1 tbsp. ginger garlic paste – 1tblsp
· Tomato large chopped - 1
· Salt – 1 tsp.
· Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp.
· Chili powder (hot) – 1 tsp.
· Garam masala – ½ tbsp.
· Finely chopped parsley – 3 to 4 tbsps.
· Shredded mozzarella - 2tbsps.
· French bread, sliced diagonally
- Brush the eggplant with oil and bake it for 30 minutes in 200 degrees Celsius. Let it cool for 15 minutes once it’s baked and then finely chop it and set aside.
- In a pan add oil, brown cumin. Then sauté chopped onion till it softens. Then add green chilies, ginger and garlic paste and sauté for 15 seconds. Then add tomatoes, turmeric, chilie powder and salt and sauté for one minute. Add 1 or 2 tbsps. of water to cook the spices. Keep sautéing for another few minutes.
- Then add chopped eggplant, garam masala and cook on low flame for 5 minutes. Then add the crumbled paneer and fold it well under high flame.
- Turn off the flame and add chopped parsley.
- Scoop the dish on to an oven proof serving bowl and sprinkle mozzarella cheese and bake till the cheese melts and turn brown.
- Arrange the sliced bread and pesto on a platter and serve the dish along with this.
All above pictures are copyrighted Tickled by Inspirations