Monday, September 28, 2020

Home Tour - Residence of Rushika from California

Hey everyone… I hope this finds you all in good health and happiness, especially during this crazy COVID phase. And I hope we all continue to be safe. I am back with my favorite segment, Home Tour and today’s home tour gives all the good feels of a zen home.

Rushika Veerareddy, based in California, has graciously opened up her beautiful home for us to have a tour. She has created a beautiful oasis that exudes warmth, serenity and coziness. There is a beautiful mix and balance of ethnicity and boho chic in her décor style. I always believe that your home is an extension of your personality and here Rushika has reflected her personal style through the things she has collected over the years and displaying it in beautiful vignettes and wall décor. And what I loved about her home is that there is a good amount of pop of green in her space as she loves nature.

Let’s hear more from Rushika herself and gear up for a beautiful tour of her home.






  • Tell us a bit about yourself.

 

I am born and raised in Hyderabad. I met my husband, Dikpal in 2014 and moved to California shortly after. I am a bioengineer by day and a decor enthusiast at heart. We love to read and explore, be it places, food or ideas and are always chasing new experiences.  This is our first home together. It is a small 700 sq. ft. apartment in the heart of Palo Alto and is over 50 years old. It does have a bit of a vintage charm to it. We have lived here for a little over five years now. 






 

  • Where do you get inspiration to do up your home?

 

 A big part of my inspiration comes from nostalgia and history. I have always been a person who has kept pieces that have been a part of my life as memorabilia. Objects that remind me of my ancestors and loved ones. I’ve felt a need to treasure them. Through these pieces I wanted to keep their stories and memories alive. Eventually, I started collecting some vintage and antique curios, intrigued about their make, time in history, location, artwork and the interesting hands they might have passed on through. 

Hence, my inspiration also comes from traveling and looking at historical grandeur. 

And also Pinterest, Instagram. 




 



  • What's your favorite décor style?

 

My decor style is evolving. Currently, it is a mix of eclectic and modern bohemian. This is largely because I’ve had to work with my husband’s already existing pieces of decor. Pieces from our travels have been picked up without hesitation and have blended so beautifully across the house adding to the eclectic vintage charm.  

However, the aesthetic that appeals to me the most is a blend between the French chateau and Parisian chic style. I would eventually love living in a space like that, with high ceilings, lots of light and neutral backgrounds with pops of gold and color. 







  • What's your favorite décor element or accent in your home?

 

I am particularly obsessed with my brassware. Especially the brass candle stands. Absolutely love them and feel like I never have enough.




 

  • Do you have a favorite corner or space in your home? And why is it your favorite?

 

The year 2020 has been a year of a lot of introspection and zero travel. Not being able to escape outdoors, my current favourite space is the balcony area. It is my slice of green paradise and a chance to catch a bit of sun and breeze and have a lazy summer afternoon reading my favorite books. 




 
  • Any tips or advice for décor lovers out there?

 

    • Experiment with caution. I love the idea of an evolving decor style. However, decor is expensive. Think about what works for you and start slowly.
    • If you rent like me, visualize your space and think about what you like: art, books, pottery, pillows, rugs, etc. Start from there. Take your time to make it your home and add elements to it that you might keep. 
    • Living in small spaces has made me creative with storage. Find functional pieces of decor that can double as great storage to keep the “things that must not be visible” out of sight.
    • In the end, enjoy the process! Happy decorating. 

  








Thank you so much Rushika for opening your doors for me and my readers. There were so many inspirations to take away from your beautiful home!!

I hope you all enjoyed this home tour as much as i did... Stay tuned for more inspirations coming your way. Stay safe and take good care!







No comments: