Moussaka, the traditional Greek comfort dish, is my all-time favorite dish that never fails me and guaranteed to impress everyone. I have to admit this is not an easy recipe and it requires ahead planning but totally worth all the effort. And it is a recipe you have to give it a try. The flavour of different layers of eggplant, meat sauce, potatoes and the white cheesy sauce makes this dish divine. This is a great choice of recipe when you have a large gathering at home because this can be made in advance. It's a perfect weekend meal and you can forget about the calories for a while. One bite of this dish and get ready to swoon. So here is the recipe
· 3 eggplants cut into 1/2 inch thick slices (lengthwise or across)
· 2 medium size potatoes sliced 1/2 inch thick slices
· 1/4 cup olive oil
· 500 to 650gms minced lamb/beef (I used lamb)
· salt to taste
· ground black pepper to taste
· 2 onions, chopped
· 1tbsp ginger minced
· 1tbsp garlic minced
· 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
· 1/4 teaspoon chilly powder
· 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
· 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
· For the Béchamel Sauce
· 3 egg, beaten
· 100gms butter
· 3 cups milk
· 1 cup water
· 1/3rd cup all-purpose flour
· salt to taste
· pepper to taste
· 1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese
Process of layering in pictures:
· Make the meat sauce and béchamel sauce the previous day and rewarm it when assembling the dish.
· Add mushrooms and spinach for variation.
· If you lack time, use the instant béchamel mix. I do it when I lack time!
· Leftovers can be stored and refrigerator in airtight container and tastes even better the next day!
Above pictures are copyright Tickled by Inspirations