Sunday, February 9, 2014

Masala Chai and Rains

Rains always managed to fuel a great amount of excitement and bring a unique charm to our Muscat weather. Just sitting at my desk, looking into my garden, sipping my piping hot cup of masala chai and curl up with a book is a perfect way to unwind.

Masala Chai is tea brewed with a combination of spices of your choice like cinnamon, ginger, cloves, fennel seeds and star anise.  And as I sip my steaming spiced tea it reminds me of the beautiful monsoon back in India. And this spiced tea goes well with biscotti.
 
 

Masala Chai Recipe                                            

Yield: 3 to 4cups

Ingredients

2 cups water
1 cup milk
1 1/4 tbsp Indian black tea 
Sugar to \taste

 
Spice mix 
2 cardamom pods (cracked)
2 whole black peppercorns
1 petal star anise
2 whole cloves
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 inch fresh ginger (shredded)
1/2 stick cinnamon

 
Method

Boil together the water, tea, sugar and spices. Depending on preference and strength required determine the time for which you boil the tea and I prefer about 5 minutes. If you prefer a milder tea you can add the tea after the first boil.
Add milk and boil for another 5 minutes. Strain and serve hot with biscotti.

Note
If you prefer more milk, make equal proportions of water and milk. Some prefer more milk than water which leads to milder tea... the choice is yours.



Cheers and enjoy the weather Muscateers!!
 
Images are clicked by me
 
 

No comments: