Thursday, October 20, 2016

Artist of the month: Rashmi Krishnappa

Doodle art these days are pretty popular. It’s a recognized form of art that is fun and relaxing. This art is basically an impromptu method to express ideas, thoughts and emotions that is spontaneous in nature…. And they are depicted in abstract illustrations. You start with a simple sketch and all you need to do is work on it with a little imagination, without any proper skill, discipline and style. I believe that creativity is at its best when you doodle.  

Rashmi Krishnappa is one such artist whose art is influence by doodle art or rather an extension of doodling. Her passion for art can be seen on her feed on Instagram and Facebook. I am mesmerized by her detailing in each of her art work. Before we hear from Rashmi about her art journey, have a look at her work and you will know what I am talking about.
 





 

A brief about yourself.
Wife, mom to 2 and a software engineer by profession.

How did your journey as an artist begin? Did you have any formal training or is it self-taught?
During my school days I loved drawing and painting and took part in drawing competitions and such. Once I started my engineering I had to leave art behind but I did not stop doodling in my textbooks and notes. Several years later - marriage, kids and jobs later I picked up a pen to draw again and have not stopped since. Drawing patterns is relaxing to me like yoga to the mind.  I have had no formal training in art - the more I draw the more I seem to learn and get better at it.

How would you define art?

It’s an expression, something you feel, something you want to convey , something you want to portray or maybe just something you create that pleases you and others.  

 
What's your inspiration for your art work?

My art work gets inspiration from everyday events, nature, abstract patterns and Hinduism in general.  The art form I use in the drawings is heavily influenced by various art forms like Madhubani , Zentangle , Henna patterns , doodle art and mandalas. I first draw a basic outline of whatever it is I am drawing and then basically fill with patterns.

 
What is the most challenging aspect about your work?

Time - Art has not been and still is not my profession so making the best possible use of the time I can spare does get challenging , but I think it’s easier for me since I do not consider art as 'work' 

 
What is your creative process like? What keeps you motivated?

Process of creating art is very satisfying to me, time spent drawing those patterns in my art work is very relaxing and therapeutic to me. The End result of a completed drawing/art-work is the icing on the cake. I am my own critique and constantly want to keep improving and trying to do better.  With age came the deep desire in me to leave a mark in the world and what better way to do this than with art. If I could make my art reach places - it gives me immense joy. 

 
Tell us a bit about your online shop. Do you commission different projects?
When I got back to art after a gap of 20 years I initially had no intentions of selling , My art got noticed on Instagram by people like you and I had some requests to start selling my art prints. I opened my etsy shop early 2016    http://www.etsy.com/shop/RashmiArtPage   , as of now I have art prints of various art work I did in the last 2 years . Till today every  sale makes me very happy , some times its still surreal to me that people like and want my art hanging on their walls . Trying hard to sell or trying to get myself noticed is not very productive for me and also not something I am good at , so I hope that if I keep creating my art will get noticed . I have recently opened up for commissioned projects - I have not worked on any so far.  

 
Any tips or words of wisdom to aspiring artists?

Keep those creative juices flowing - keep creating - do what you love and love what you do. 
 
 
Thanks Rashmi for sharing your inspiration and thoughts with me and my readers. Looking forward to seeing more of your amazing work!!!
 
Click here to get updates on Facebook, here to follow her work on Instagram and here to purchase her beautiful art on etsy.


All Images are copyright Rashmi Krishnappa






 

No comments: